This post is inspired by the many videos and blog posts I've seen of others doing something similar, and my 21st birthday, which is today.
I wanted to share 21 lessons that I've learned in my time being alive- some of these are more serious than others, but all of them count.
1. Take care of your skin. Drink lots of water. Don't prove to be a hard worker by neglecting sleep. Listen to your body, it knows what it needs.
2. Call your mom more. She carried you for 9 months, and she carried you a lot longer. Your mom thinks about you more than you know.
3. Reread books- over and over again if you love them. They will teach you something new every time.
4. Own a rice cooker, and a hot water kettle, and a french press. Spend extra money on good parmesan.
5. Keep your friends close, and your enemies out of mind. Life is too short to accept that sort of negative energy.
6. Accept that not everyone is going to like you, and you can't always change that. Not every personality is going to fit together like a puzzle.
7. Have a savings account. Prep for a rainy day. A rainy week. A rainy month. Do your best.
8. Work really, really hard to love and accept your body. We live in a society where women's bodies go in and out of style, and that's really fucked up. Try to ignore it. Your body is not a trend, it is a vessel and it is keeping you alive. Try to love it.
9. Don't let anyone tell you that it's arrogant to love yourself. Self-love is the most powerful love in the world, no one can take that from you. There is nothing conceited about knowing your worth.
10. Take care of the people that take care of you- don't take kindness for granted.
11. Don't let other take you for granted either. Being kind doesn't mean being a doormat.
12. Judge a person based on how they treat staff. A person who is nice to you, but not nice to a waiter, is not a nice person.
13. Physical abuse is abuse. Verbal abuse is abuse. Physiological abuse is abuse. Gas lighting is abuse. Abuse is abuse, no matter what.
14. It doesn't matter if it's a stranger, or your friend, or your partner. It doesn't matter if you were drunk. It doesn't matter if they remember doing it. Rape is rape, no matter what.
15. Tell your anxiety this: "everyone else is too busy with their own problems to pay any attention to mine. I am not the center of everyone else's universe. Breathe. Relax. No one is watching."
16. Be independent. Be self-sufficient. Let the people in your life be there out of choice, not out of necessity.
17. On this note, remember that you are a whole human being, and you do not need anyone to complete you.
18. If you're going to love, love fully.
19. Some people recharge by being with others, some people recharge by being alone. Know which type of person you are, and give yourself what you need.
20. Don't take life too seriously. Human purpose is arbitrary. The meaning of life is self-determined. The universe is entirely absurd. Take it in stride.
**This is not to sway anyone from any other religions- I am an existentialist, so these are my beliefs.
21. It is not selfish to love yourself first.